Table of contents
- What is an ingrown hair?
- Ingrown hair, how is it possible?
- Ingrown hairs, how to avoid them?
- How to get rid of ingrown hairs?
The problem with having ingrown hairs and a beard is that it’s harder for us men to see them and therefore get rid of them before a possible infection. But don’t worry guys, there are solutions to prevent them and minimize the risk of ending up in a dermatologist!
What is an ingrown hair?
Quite simply, it’s a hair that grows under the skin, instead of coming out and growing on the outside. It happens from time to time, there is nothing abnormal about it. However, it is unsightly, painful and even infectious. To know everything about ingrown hairs, from their causes to their treatment, follow me! I’ll explain it all to you!
Ingrown hair, how is it possible?
There are three main causes that can lead to an ingrown hair, and all of them can be summed up in one reason : the hair does not grow out ! In fact, in all cases, the hair does not manage to come out to continue its growth outside.
First cause of ingrown hairs: shaving
If the hair was previously shaved using the wrong technique, with the wrong tool (such as a multi-blade razor for example), or if the blade, even if simple, is not adequate, the hair will be cut too short, which will cause it to grow back under the skin.
Second cause: the skin pore is obstructed
The hair cannot come out, because it is blocked. It is then possible that it folds on itself and starts to grow in the wrong direction. Clogged pores occur when the skin has not been sufficiently prepared and cleaned before shaving.
Third cause: the type of hair is prone to ingrowth
This is the case with thick, curly and frizzy hair that does not grow straight and will therefore have more difficulty coming out in the right direction.
In all cases, a hair that grows under the skin most often causes a small redness or a pimple that can become inflamed. This can then become painful and possibly leave scars on your skin. To avoid this, there are solutions!
Ingrown hairs, how to avoid them?
To prevent hair from becoming ingrown, follow my five-step method:
Take care of your skin
First of all, make sure to clean your skin daily and properly with a mild soap. Lather it up in your hands and gently rub it all over your face and neck, as if you were giving yourself a massage, but avoid the eye area.
Perform a facial scrub
Once a week, you can also scrub your face (by adding a little baking soda to your usual mild soap), which will unclog pores and remove dead skin.
Prepare your skin for shaving
When it comes to shaving, it’s essential to prepare and treat your beard beforehand. Start by rinsing your face with warm water to open pores and soften hair. Then, apply shaving cream to protect your skin from sharp blades.
Shaving itself is a light act. There’s no need to press down on your razor, the weight of the razor is enough.
Shave in the direction of the hair or at an angle, but never against the grain. Finally, do not shave more than once or twice per area, otherwise it will cut the hair too short and cause it to become ingrown. Choose an electric razor or a single-blade razor. Avoid multi-blade razors as much as possible, as they combine all the effects that cause hair to grow in. Finally, make sure the hair is cut cleanly. If it is not, replace the blade for a better effect.
- Made in USA, Ingrown Hair Solution: Applying a thin coat of Tend Skin Solution post shaving and waxing reduces the appearance of ingrown hair, razor bump also known as pfb
- Post Shaving or Waxing, Women and Men: Use Tend Skin Solution as an aftershave or wax to reduce bumps on legs, underarms, bikini lines, chin, neck or face.
- Hair Removal: Shave routine with razor blades or at home waxing kit or electrolysis and laser are all “surgical” procedures; tissue is torn or burned during any of this treatment. Apply thin coat of Tend Skin Solution after hair removal to reduce redness and bumps.
- Facial Toner: Tend Skin Solution can also be used as an effective facial cleanser, also performs micro-peel and will make your skin glow as well as reduce appearance of wrinkles with regular use.
- Cruelty Free: No Animal Testing, supports a non-profit named Angels in Distress.
Last update on 2023-06-02 / As an Amazon Partner, I make a profit on qualifying purchases./ Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
After shave is important!
Once you’re done shaving, don’t forget to apply a moisturizing aftershave to soothe your skin. If you often get ingrown hairs, you can use an aftershave or lotion to help minimize the problem.
How to get rid of ingrown hairs?
Take a good look at your ingrown hair in a mirror. You will quickly see if it is infected or not. If it is, there’s no need to go any further: contact your dermatologist who will be able to take care of it.
If it’s not infected and it’s visible, it’s up to you! Take a pair of tweezers and sterilize them (you’ll see, it’s easy: just wash them with warm water and soap, then dry them with a clean towel).
- RELEASES AND PREVENTS INGROWN HAIRS— Think of it as your all-in-one ingrown hair kit. Glycolic, and phytic acid serum (natural alpha hydroxy acids) exfoliate to lift existing ingrowns and prevent hair from growing inward in the first place.
- HELPS ACNE AND RED BUMPS — Salicylic acid, derived from willow trees, has many skin benefits. It’s a natural exfoliant, and is a powerful tool to unclog pores; it also makes scars less visible.
- SOOTHES AND PROTECTS— Ultra-moisturizing formula is infused with willow herb and lavender to soothe and calm the skin. Exfoliates without the need to scrub, making it ideal for the underarm, bikini area, and those with sensitive skin.
- NONE OF THE BAD STUFF— Save face by ditching harmful ingredients. This ingrown hair remover is free of parabens, phthalates, GMOs, DEA, and triclosan. Allergy and dermatologist tested. Made cruelty free in the USA.
- FAVORITE WITH GROOMING EXPERTS— Anthony brand men’s grooming products have been featured (and won awards) in top publications, including Men’s Health, New York Times, Forbes, GQ, and Esquire. We’re also in 850 high-end barber shops across US and Canada.
Last update on 2023-05-26 / As an Amazon Partner, I make a profit on qualifying purchases./ Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Prepare a hot water compress and apply it to your ingrown hair or take a steam bath so the heat dilates the pores. Then, arm yourself with your freshly sterilized tweezers and remove the hair (gently, but firmly). Once your hair is out, clean your skin thoroughly with your mild soap.
To say goodbye to ingrown hairs for good, the best solution is prevention! Take care of your skin, clean it regularly and shave gently! You’ll have (almost) baby skin!